For realzies. I am!
Fran and I, or rather I, had planned to keep the pregnancy a secret until the first doctor's appointment. I wanted to confirm I really was pregnant before telling everyone on the planet. I couldn't even tell my best good friends or my family. I think my brain needed time to process all of it before I could really form the words anyway. I also needed to pee on several more sticks to feel confident. Needless to say, every pee stick came out with two lines, or a plus, or a "pregnant" result. I think I've totalled 7 since then.
Anyway, Franny was so excited that his "seed had found purchase" (his words) that he told some guy he works with right away. We also went to our good friend's house to BBQ a couple of days after we found out. Upon arrival, it was clear to me that the proverbial cat had been released from the bag. People knew. And that was alright. I can't blame the guy. He is psyched. From then on we pretty much just started blabbing away.
My friends had difficulty figuring out how to react considering it certainly wasn't something I was planning on doing. They all smiled and said "You are? Really? That's.... well how is it actually? Is this good?" I just love them so much for wanting to be supportive no matter what. I'd say "it's good" and they'd just go back to smiling and asking all the right questions.
My parents didn't believe us at first. It was hilarious. They were like "no you aren't. Quit messing with our feelings." It was so funny. When they finally realized we were serious, they cried. I don't think they thought they'd ever have grandkids. They're so excited. My brother was the first to tell me I'd be a great mom. That made ME cry.
Franny's parents are a bit more old school and they wanted to know when we'd be getting married. It seems to be a priority for them, which is understandable and fine. We hadn't talked specifically about when we'd do it. I think we always knew that we'd do it so it wasn't like suddenly we had to figure it all out and have a shotgun wedding just because I was pregnant. It's not 1930. Our names are not tarnished just because I'm knocked up. Sheesh. If it was up to his parents, we'd be hitched already. Fran did take me to get some rings though and he did have a talk with my dad about whatever the hell that dad and boyfriend pre-marriage talk is supposed to be about. We've pretty much been engaged from then on.
Eventhough he didn't have to, Franny did ask me officially to marry him one day. I'll of course, never forget it.
Incidentally, we've decided to get married in autumn '09. Clear your schedules.

2 comments:
All that talk about crying got me all chocked up. CONGRATULATIONS!! That pic of you and your nino bump is so cute
Congrats. I was a little shocked, but am comepletely excited for you. I will definently keep my calendar clear next fall.
PS. I can totally see you having that conversation with yourself on your way home when you first found out.
Post a Comment